Handbuilt 5E3 NO tweed deluxe

Lautsprecher-Boxen Selbstbau
Antworten
pp-guitars
Holzkäufer
Danksagung erhalten: 2 Mal

Handbuilt 5E3 NO tweed deluxe

Beitrag von pp-guitars » 19.02.2012, 10:16

Everybody knows how heavily an amp influences the sound of a guitar....or how an amp can ruin even the best sounding guitar!
For gigs I use a Fender Twin Reverb....a very heavy loud playing monster, that I sometimes feel too tired to drag around.
On the net i found a lot building 5E3 Tweed Deluxe clones. That seems to be ideal for practice and small gigs....so here is what I do!
I found an expert in building exactly this amp. He uses only the best components to be found. NOS tubes (new old stock) and will ad the speaker that will fit my opinion of good sound. He has tested numerous of tubes and speakers and components, and has even found the way to get a Blackface sound on second input of the amp. It will be a 20W amp, with supposedly a Weber speaker. The cabinet will not be the standard, but a PP-guitar built walnut/flamed maple with gold grill cloth...
The amp builder saw my cabinet design...so now I have to do 2

Bild

Bought 8 planks of Walnut, and had to cut up 5 for the boards needed....a lot of waste

Bild

Boards are now 20mm thick, but will be sanded down to 18mm.

Bild

All the pieces will be cut on out CNC, and after assembly and sanding, it will be finished with TruOil

The warzone....

Bild

Getting closer

Bild

Bild

bea
GBB.de-Inventar
Danksagung erhalten: 376 Mal

Re: Handbuilt 5E3 NO tweed deluxe

Beitrag von bea » 19.02.2012, 11:17

pp-guitars hat geschrieben:...
On the net i found a lot building 5E3 Tweed Deluxe clones. That seems to be ideal for practice and small gigs.......It will be a 20W amp, with supposedly a Weber speaker.
It will be more than enough; a champ would probably suffice - and it can be miked.
I would consider the possibility for power reduction as well, e.g. by a VVR circuitry, by a switchable triode mode or by switchable screen grid voltage.
The amp builder saw my cabinet design...so now I have to do 2
To be expected...

Good luck with that little beast.
LG

Beate

pp-guitars
Holzkäufer
Danksagung erhalten: 2 Mal

Re: Handbuilt 5E3 NO tweed deluxe

Beitrag von pp-guitars » 19.02.2012, 13:35

Thanks Beate
I'll take your advice with me to the Ampguru. I must admit I know very little about Ampbuilding....but are looking forward to get an, hopefully, excellent amp for home practice and demo's

Gluing 4 sides at a time using 2 old heavy shipyard clamps + a lot of hobby ones...

Bild

Feet will be Ampgliders....

Bild

Front should be something like this...

Bild

Kim (youngest son/toolmaker) had some hours on the CNC, but as usual, had it running perfect. Now I have to do a bit of correcting corners on the rout, and will be back with pictures of the tools we made for that!

Bild

getting close
Cabinets have had 3x TruOil, and are now waiting for a Mercury transformer to arrive from the US....soon time to go and play rock'n'roll....

Bild

Bild

ALLRIGHT! monday is test day for assembly :D

I went to the ampbuilder, with a Celestion, British made G12M speaker installed. We hooked it up, and I was blown away. Amazing sound. We then put a Weber Grey Wolf 12F in the other Walnut cabinet, and hooked that up, to compare. Just amazing....the amp got a lot louder and got an unbelievable punch, and a sound of my dreams. Two Grey Wolf are ordered (one spare, just in case!)
We tested it against a normal tweed cabinet, also with a Grey Wolf, and found it a bit more dull compared to the walnut cabinet. The tonewood ads a nice spark to the entire tone range of the amp.
Now I have to try it in practice with the rest of the band....I might see some dark clouds rising over my Twin Reverb monster...

Bild

Boy! this amp can be loud!

Antworten

Zurück zu „Boxenbau“